12.10.12

God's Remembering Mercy


'O Lord, I have heard the report of you, and your work O Lord, do I fear. In the midst of the years revive it; in the midst of the years make it known; in wrath remember mercy.'
- Habakkuk 3:2

'But as he considered these things, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream, saying, "Joseph, son of David, do not fear to take Mary as your wife, for that which is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit. She will bear a son, and you shall call his name Jesus, for he will save his people from their sins."'- Matthew 1:20-21

'Justification is present deliverance from the eschatological wrath of God, a verdict, already rendered, of acquittal and right standing at the final judgment.'- Richard Gaffin, Right With God, p. 124

My sin, oh, the bliss of this glorious thought! My sin, not in part but the whole,Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more, Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!- Horatio Spafford, It is Well, v. 3

If your trust is in Christ there is good news, both now and to come. A verdict has already been rendered. An acquittal has already come. For those whose trust is in Christ future judgment has already been executed. In our pervasive sinfulness we have earned the just wrath, judgment, and condemnation of God. The glory of the gospel is that the guilty have received pardon. Because of Christ's comprehensive atoning work and because of an inestimable price paid, future judgment has been given now. The declaration = Not guilty. The entirety of my sins past, present, and future have been forgiven.  

This is good news for me.  There is no lingering wrath to bear on my my own.  The crimson stain of commands broken has been thoroughly cleansed.  The accumulated years of thoughts, words, and deeds concocted to conspire against my Creator have met an overwhelming sufficiency in Christ.  The unclean has been made clean.  The pauper has been made rich.  The illegitimate has been made a son. In His wrath God has remembered mercy.

No comments:

Post a Comment